A small tidbit in the New York Times today, which has no chance of seeing the light of day on the televised news, covered the race by corporate lobbyists to gain last minute approval from the White House to essentially screw the people in some way, shape or form. Predicting that Democrats might take the White House, Operation Fuck You is currently underway.
Some of the policies backed by the pro-business lobby include:
- Trucking Companies would like to increase the maximum number of hours truck drivers can work. If you’ve ever been on the road with a truck driver who hasn’t slept in 14 hours, I suggest the Transportation Department distribute astronaut diapers for every motorist who will piss themselves when said trucker swerves in and out of his lane. Driving on the road with a sleepy driver in a Honda Civic is one thing; multiply the wheels to 18, and the highways will start to feel like Interstate Grand Theft Auto.
- Coal Companies have been trying to change their image of late by using an 8 year old with Crayola Crayons explaining the benefits of cleaner coal technology. However, the coal lobbies would like the Interior Department to allow them to dump rock and dirt from mountaintop mines into nearby water sources. It’s just too expensive to trap carbon dioxide, and it’s too expensive to haul waste, says the coal lobby. Since problem solving begins when a situation’s dilemma ranges from disastrous to “OH FUCK! OH FUCK!”, this looks like yet another conundrum to be inherited by our children and grandchildren. And who really cares if Appalachia is affected by a little water contamination? It’s not like the majority of Appalachian adults will be able to read this blog anyway …
- The Enironmental Protection Agency, known under the Bush Administration as “People for the Ethical Treatment of the Utility Industry”, would like to regulate the use of pollution-control equipment by not mandating the utilization of pollution-control equipment.
- Employers would like to change the rules for family and medical leave because 12 weeks with an infant is a bit too generous. After all, as long as a woman spends nine months with the fetus, everything else will just work itself out. This coincides with the neoconservatives’ outlook on the youth vote, composed 100% of fetuses.
- The National Chicken Council and the U.S. Poultry and Egg Association have answered the age old question, “What came first? The chicken or the damaging ammonia fumes from chicken shit?” The associations insist that ammonia released into the air is not a public or environmental health hazard “just cause”. An anonymous spokesperson from the NCC said to me, “The only chicken shits that should be regulated are in the Democratic party”.
I’m sure there is more, but my bleeding ulcer can’t take it. Notice the pattern – corporations, which have the same rights as human beings, benefit monetarily when real human beings get screwed. If there is one main problem facing our democracy, it is the political lobby. A plague on both sides of the political aisle, the lobby movement – funded by special interest corporations – continue to set the agenda for policy.
Can we get a lobby for citizens??? The popular vote just doesn’t seem to cut it …